Alternative Treatment Options For Fibromyalgia Sufferers
Fibromyalgia is a very real condition with very real symptoms. It is important for Fibromyalgia sufferers to be able to find a treatment option that will provide the most relief for them personally. Some of the most commonly used forms of alternative treatments for Fibromyalgia are discussed in this article.
There are some simple solutions that can be adapted on a daily basis in order to help deal with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia and allow for Fibromyalgia to be able to live a “new” normal in their lives.
- Energy Saving – fatigue is one of the chief symptoms, other than pain, that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia complain of experiencing. It is important for adequate rest to be acquired whenever and wherever possible, and for energy savings to turn into an everyday routine. If a person’s job or activities leaves them with little or no energy then consideration for changing the way work, commitments, projects, hobbies, as well as family or friends effects their energy levels should be discussed.
- Adaptation – the pain of Fibromyalgia can affect the way Fibromyalgia sufferers move on a daily basis because bending over or reaching above their heads can lead to undergoing pain. Finding every day solutions and adapting to a new way of life while living with Fibromyalgia is important, individuals can accomplish this by becoming creative and modifying the way they complete tasks in order to lessen the pain.
- Planning – planning for a bad day is a must for Fibromyalgia sufferers. Some days will be worse than others when it comes to the pain and fatigue that must be tolerated. Stocking up on meals that are easy to prepare, keeping disposable kitchen items, and being willing to ask for help when it’s needed are simple solutions that can be easily adapted in order to deal with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Scheduling – often Fibromyalgia sufferers feel completely overwhelmed with even the simplest tasks of daily life. This feeling can be evaded by coming up with a schedule for simple tasks such as household chores or responsibilities. Another idea is to create a schedule of tasks that can be completed on a daily, weekly, monthly, or annual basis. Finishing a little bit at a time becomes much easier when it’s planned out ahead of time.
- Changes – being willing to make little changes in the way a person “normally” completes their responsibilities can make an enormous difference in the life of an individual who is dealing with Fibromyalgia.
Exercise and Diet
Exercise is actually a phenomenal non medication therapy that will aid in lessening the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. For anyone who is living with the pain and fatigue from Fibromyalgia this may seem like an oxymoron, however, if approached in a suitable way exercise can help Fibromyalgia sufferers to stay fit and maintain an improved quality of life. Fibromyalgia sufferers should be extremely careful to approach exercise in the correct way, this can be accomplished by doing exercises that are easy on the muscles and joints, understanding individual limitations, avoiding intense workouts, and stretching properly before each exercise. The point of exercise is to improve circulation, regulate blood pressure and body weight, strengthen the heart, and of course to help patients avoid the flare ups associated with Fibromyalgia.
Diet and nutrition is another vital lifestyle change that can be adapted to help a Fibromyalgia sufferer begin to take back control of their lives. Nutritional intake that is high in fruits and vegetable can supply the body with added antioxidants and nutrients that can aid in minimizing the destructive effects of Fibromyalgia. It is also another well-known fact that Fibromyalgia sufferers should avoid preservatives and additives as much as possible. One specific additive or chemical that should be avoided at all costs is that of aspartame (also known as Equal or NutraSweet) because it is known to magnify the symptoms of Fibromyalgia and cause even more problems.
Just as with any condition the first step approach to treatment is often times prescription medications, but when it comes to Fibromyalgia often times these prescription medications that are used cause negative side effects. It is important for Fibromyalgia suffers to be aware that there are ways to treat Fibromyalgia other than with just medications, and one of the options that exist for fibromyalgia treatment is the use of supplements.
- Vitamin D – Studies show that Vitamin D can provide relief from Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Fish Oil – Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an exceptional source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- SAMe – a supplement that is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is desirable for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA. Research has shown that SAMe can diminish the symptoms of chronic pain as well as boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
- Capsaicin – When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a reduction in pain has been recognized.
- Ribose – Fibromyalgia is often caused because of tight muscles. Ribose can help to ease this pain because Ribose can help to release those muscles and help to improve the devastating symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium – aids in relief from Fibromyalgia because when taken as a supplement it can help to decrease the muscle spasms, weakness, and back pain that are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia.
- B- Complex Vitamins – All of the B- Complex vitamins (Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamine) can help to lessen inflammation that often causes the painful symptoms, these vitamins can also help to maintain muscle tone which is an advantage to Fibromyalgia sufferers.
- 5-HTP – Research has shown that in persons who suffer from Fibromyalgia when 5-HTP was used as a treatment, individuals reported a significant decrease in their tender points as well as the amount of pain they were suffering on a daily basis. Other benefits noted with the use of 5-HTP were improvements in sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.