Does Natural Alternatives Really Work?
What some people do not realize is that there are other treatment options out there other than just prescription medications. Fibromyalgia is a very complex, confusing and limiting condition but it can be eased without the help of medications there are other alternatives that can help ease the pain and suffering of fibromyalgia. Many fibromyalgia patients lose heart after having endured several failed treatments but there is hope.
Through Massage Therapy
Massage therapists apply pressure using their hands, elbows and thumbs. The goal is to get to the deep layers of muscle that are causing the most pain for fibromyalgia patients. Massage therapists use slow strokes with direct pressure to release chronic muscle tension. When there is chronic muscle tension there are typically adhesions, or band of tender, stiff tissue. These adhesions are located in the muscles, tendons and ligaments and can block circulation. When the adhesions block circulation fibromyalgia patients typically feel pain, limited movement and struggle with inflammation.
When a massage therapist does a deep tissue massage they are working to physically break down the adhesions. Once the adhesions are broken down, the fibromyalgia patient can feel a relief from the pain and more easily move.
Numerous studies have shown that acupuncture can alter brain chemistry. It appears to change brain chemistry by changing the release of neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters help relay information about external stimuli and sensations, for example: pain, by stimulating or slowing down nerve impulses in the brain. When this happens, fibromyalgia patients experience a higher pain threshold. Because of the way acupuncture treatments work, a single acupuncture treatment that relieves pain can last weeks.
Through Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care or spinal manipulation has been around for decades and is known for assisting with numerous conditions and problems, one condition specifically is that of Fibromyalgia. Chiropractic care is recognized for supporting a more natural methodology to whole body healing in general and uses spinal manipulation, adjustments or realignments in order to help relieve the pain that is associated with Fibromyalgia. Research has shown that chiropractic care can lessen the pain felt in the back, neck, and head that are associated with Fibromyalgia, chiropractic care can help in overall body care which aids in a greater ability to see relief from Fibromyalgia.
Through Herbal Supplements
- Vitamin D – Studies show that Vitamin D can provide relief from Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Fish Oil – Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an exceptional source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- SAMe – a supplement that is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is desirable for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA. Research has shown that SAMe can diminish the symptoms of chronic pain as well as boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
- Capsaicin – When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a reduction in pain has been recognized.
- Ribose – Fibromyalgia is often caused because of tight muscles. Ribose can help to ease this pain because Ribose can help to release those muscles and help to improve the devastating symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium – aids in relief from Fibromyalgia because when taken as a supplement it can help to decrease the muscle spasms, weakness, and back pain that are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia.
- B- Complex Vitamins – All of the B- Complex vitamins (Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamine) can help to lessen inflammation that often causes the painful symptoms, these vitamins can also help to maintain muscle tone which is an advantage to Fibromyalgia sufferers.
- 5-HTP – Research has shown that in persons who suffer from Fibromyalgia when 5-HTP was used as a treatment, individuals reported a significant decrease in their tender points as well as the amount of pain they were suffering on a daily basis. Other benefits noted with the use of 5-HTP were improvements in sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.