False Facts About Fibromyalgia
The condition of Fibromyalgai is one that is very much misunderstood by many in the public forum, and not completely understood by those in the medical community as research is still being done to find a cure for the condition of Fibromyalgai and better ways to treat the symptoms of Fibromyalgai. Because of this lack of knowledge concerning the condition of Fibromyalgai many times there are false facts floating around regarding Fibromyalgai that need to be set straight. A few of the most commonly misconceived ideas are listed below:
- The Condition of Fibromyalgia is Rare – this is a false fact regarding Fibromyalgai. In fact it is an extremely false statement. Studies have shown that the condition of Fibromyalgia is one of the most common forms of chronic pain in existence, and further research shows that just within the United States alone the condition of Fibromyalgia accounts for nearly 2% of the population totaling more than 5 million individuals.
- The Condition of Fibromyalgai is “All in the Head” – another false fact regarding Fibromyalgia. Many people have heard the statement “it’s all in your head”. While this sentiment does apply to some things, it is not the case with the condition of Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a very real medical condition which is thought to be the result of overactive nerves that cause chronic musculoskeletal pain and fatigue in an individual. Fibromyalgai can be specifically diagnosed and treatment of the symptoms can be had. The specific criteria that must be met in order for a proper diagnosis of the condition of Fibromyalgia to be made according to the American College of Rheumatology are: (1) A history of widespread pain must have been present for a period of at least 3 months or more, and (2) There must be a presence of at least 11 (of 18) Tender Points that have been pinpointed.
- The Condition of Fibromyalgai is only Mildly Painful – again this is a false fact regarding the condition of Fibromyalgai. An individual who has been unlucky enough to receive a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia would adamantly disagree with this statement. Of course every individual who is diagnosed with Fibromyalgia will experience differing levels of pain and other symptoms; for the most part the chronic pain that is experienced on a daily basis is not usually mild in nature.
- The Condition of Fibromyalgia has no Treatment Plan – again false fact. Often times this statement will come up because of the confusion regarding treatment of the condition of Fibromyalgai versus a cure of Fibromyalgai. Unfortunately at this time there is no cure for Fibromyalgai, however there are many different forms of treatment which do in fact provide adequate relief for those suffering from Fibromyalgai symptoms. In fact a few of the options that are available for Fibromyalgai treatment include:
- Acupuncture – is an ancient form of Chinese medicine that can help to relive symptoms of Fibromyalgai such as pain, fatigue, as well as anxiety.
- Massage Therapy – this is a time tested way to help decrease Fibromyalgai symptoms of pain, fatigue, and stress. Massage therapy can aid in improvement of range of motion, depression, anxiety, as well as relieving deep muscle pain and promoting relaxation which aids in better overall sleep quality.
- Biofeedback – is a process that is considered an “alternative” therapy for treating Fibromyalgai symptoms, however it is a process which allows the Fibromyalgai sufferer to gain more control over there nervous system and responses to pain in order to find more relief. The most common form of biofeedback therapy that is used for Fibromyalgai patients is that of electromyography (also known as EMG).
- Relaxation Techniques – relaxation techniques such as Yoga, Tai Chi or meditation are extremely important for Fibromyalgai sufferers who are trying to manage their symptoms. Specifically stress, because elevated stress levels can increase and exacerbate the pain and fatigue that are common symptoms of Fibromyalgai.
- Supplemental Therapies – the use of supplements for the treatment of Fibromyalgai is an excellent alternative to prescription medications because supplements do not cause any negative side effects nor are they habit forming. Some of the supplements which aid in providing treatment and relief of symptoms for Fibromyalgai sufferers are 5-HTP, SAMe, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Magnesium, B-Complex Vitamins, and Brown Seaweed Extract.