Fibromyalgia: Is There Hope For A Better Quality Of Life?
Fibromyalgia is a medical condition predominantly known for the chronic pain widespread throughout the body, generally accompanied by tenderness around the joints, muscles, tendons and soft tissues. These symptoms frequently causes those who are suffering from fibromyalgia to constantly feel tired, fatigued with aching bodies and tender areas that become more painful from contact. With fibromyalgia the pain can also strengthen due to changes in the weather, as well as added stress, anxiety or even certain physical activities can seem to increase the pain levels significantly.
However, fibromyalgia signs are not simply limited to pain, which leads to the use of the alternate term for this medical condition which is fibromyalgia syndrome. In addition to pain fibromyalgia symptoms can include fatigue, sleep disorders, and joint stiffness. Furthermore some patients may also report at times difficulty with swallowing, as well as bowel and bladder irregularities, numbness and tingling, along with cognitive dysfunction. Fibromyalgia is often times joined with psychiatric issues such as depression, anxiety, and stress-related ailments. However not all individuals with fibromyalgia experience all of the associated symptoms.
With all the difficulties accompanying fibromyalgia, as one could imagine, this condition can lead to a complete multitude of physical infirmities. Many times these ailments can make it much more difficult for those who are subjected to fibromyalgia to go about their daily practices. The lasting aches and pains along with other complications related to fibromyalgia typically come to a head resulting in a lower quality of life for those who suffer from fibromyalgia. Often times when this transpires those suffering with fibromyalgia become overwhelmed, and who could blame them? That is a lot for one to have to endure! Many just lose hope and become depressed. So if there any hope for a better quality of life meant for those who courageously face this devastating condition day in and day out?
Yes there is hope! There is always hope! While fibromyalgia is certainly a medical condition I doubt anyone would choose, there are still ways to help manage this condition so that those affected by it can continue to maintain some quality of life. One such way is to make sure that you have the support of a health team, meaning a host of physicians that specialize in all the different aspects that those subjected to fibromyalgia endure. Another way is make sure that you have a good support system because you will need one. If you don’t have a good support system at home or with your family or friends there are many support groups for fibromyalgia patients. Check your local phone directory or you can even check online. It is always more beneficial to know that you are not alone and that there are others who have gone through or are going through what you are. Having a good support system is very beneficial for both the emotional and mental wellbeing; it also helps with the depression as well.
Additional ways to experience hope:
- Always remember that you still have choices and exercise those choices. With fibromyalgia there are many things that will be out of your control so it is important to control what you are able to. Also, feelings of being in control help to fight any feelings of depression.
- Learn to be adaptable. It might be that you’re too sick to go out to a movie, but you can ask a friend to come over, order pizza, and watch a movie at home. Those who really love you don’t mind if you don’t cook for them, they just like to spend time with their friend.
- Become more aware of yourself! You have to focus on YOU! With fibromyalgia it can be hard to differentiate between feeling tired and feeling depressed. Purposefully choose to do activities that you enjoy or read something comical.
- Don’t forget to still have fun! It is vital to make time for playing. Make sure to keep a healthy balance in your life between work and play-time.
- Make a point to Live for Today! With fibromyalgia you are already living with the unknown, and living with the unknown is quite frightening at times because it reminds us that we are not completely in control. Because of this we must maximize the known, if you feel good, then go ahead and enjoy the day! Determine to Live in the Now!