Giving The Pills Away
Physicians tend to want to just give out a pill to calm the symptoms of fibromyalgia since there is no cure and very few doctors even know what the cause is of the condition. Two common anti-depressants that are often prescribed by doctors for those that suffer from fibromyalgia would include depression meds and antidepressant medications. These two medications are able to decrease pain for fibromyalgia. They can also help increase energy, decrease anxiety, help with alertness and improve depression. depression meds and antidepressant medications are not typically used for fibromyalgia patients who have been clinically depressed. During the medication study, researchers followed patients for six months, so they are still unsure on how well depression meds and antidepressant medications will work for long term use. Now, muscle relaxants are also used by physicians to curb fibromyalgia. Patients with fibromyalgia pain are sometimes prescribed muscle relaxants for help when the sleep as restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea. The medicine does not appear to really relax muscles but does reduce muscle pain. These medications are typically taken in the evening because they cause drowsiness. sleep medications is one of those medications that can help relax the muscles.
Taking Supplements Instead Of Pills
Some doctors, yet very few, have seen the research done on those who have fibro pain and the vitamin, mineral and herbal supplement deficiencies and choose to recommend a natural approach. Here are a few of the supplements that can aid in your fibro relief:
- Vitamin D – Research has shown that Vitamin D can help with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- B- Complex Vitamins – All of the B- Complex vitamins (Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamine) can help to lessen inflammation that often causes the painful symptoms, these vitamins can also help to maintain muscle tone which is an added bonus to those with Fibromyalgia.
- 5-HTP – Research has shown that in individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia when 5-HTP was used as a treatment, individuals reported a significant decrease in their tender points as well as the amount of pain they were experiencing on a daily basis. Other benefits noted with the use of 5-HTP were improvements in sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.
- Fish Oil – Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an excellent source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.