Having a support group is an important aspect of living and coping with a chronic condition such as fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a very painful condition that encompasses the whole body thus making it difficult for the individual suffering to find the strength and energy to perform his or her normal tasks. Fibromyalgia might be a mysterious condition but it can be treated with the help of a fibromyalgia treatment. Fibromyalgia cannot go untreated less the patient suffering find his or herself immobile and inactive.
The pain of fibromyalgia often is described as pain stemming from the joints when in fact the real issue lies in the soft tissue that surrounds the joints. The soft tissue that surrounds the joints can be found in 18 places on the body therefore making the body a very painful thing when these areas are inflamed. To lessen the pain of fibromyalgia medical professional often suggest several medications as form of treatment, though medications like depression meds, medications and antidepressant medications are prescribed they often cause further complications such as:
- Blurred Vision
- Decreased sexual desire or ability
- Dry Mouth
- Increased Sweating
- Increased Urination
- Loss of Appetite
- Numbness or Tingling of the skin
- Stomach Upset
- Trouble Sleeping
Severe side effects of antidepressant medications include:
- Difficulty Breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- Bizarre Behavior
- Black or bloody stools
- Chest Pain
- Fast Heartbeat
- New or worsening mental or mood changes (examples: agitation, panic attacks, aggressiveness, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, restlessness or inability to sit still)
- Persistent, painful erection
- Significant weight loss
- Stomach pain
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
- Unusual bone pain or unexplained swelling
- Tenderness or bruising
Think About A Safer Alternative
Though medications might help some fibromyalgia sufferers find relief that does not mean it is the safest form of treatment for every patient thus creating a need for a safer approach such as the use of herbal supplements.
- Vitamin D – Research has shown that Vitamin D can help with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Fish Oil – Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an excellent source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- SAMe – This particular supplement is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is needed for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA. Research has shown that SAMe can lessen the symptoms of chronic pain as well as boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
- Capsaicin – When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a decrease in pain has been notated in some research.
- Ribose – Fibromyalgia is often caused because of tight muscles. Ribose can help to ease this pain because Ribose can help to loosen those muscles and help to improve the debilitating symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium – Can aid in relief from Fibromyalgia because when taken as an additional supplement it can help to reduce the muscle spasms, weakness, and back pain that are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia.
- B- Complex Vitamins – All of the B- Complex vitamins (Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamine) can help to lessen inflammation that often causes the painful symptoms, these vitamins can also help to maintain muscle tone which is an added bonus to those with Fibromyalgia.
- 5-HTP – Research has shown that in individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia when 5-HTP was used as a treatment, individuals reported a significant decrease in their tender points as well as the amount of pain they were experiencing on a daily basis. Other benefits noted with the use of 5-HTP were improvements in sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.