How Are You Coping?
Everyone handles life stresses differently that is what makes us all individuals. When it comes to coping with or handling a tough life situation what is your common reaction and how do you deal? There are those that find it hard to deal and cope when a dilemma arises such as personal health. Personal health is what keeps a person active and functioning at a normal capacity but when there is a diagnosis such as fibromyalgia personal health is threatened and coping mechanisms must be implemented if life is going to head in the right direction.
Fibromyalgia is a very painful condition that can have a serious effect on an individual’s lifestyle and mobility. Every day is a struggle to stay active as the pain and symptoms of fibromyalgia worsen without a known cure. The patient diagnosed with fibromyalgia must learn how to cope with the pain of fibromyalgia in a safe way. Though there is no known cure there are several tips or techniques that a fibromyalgia patient can implement so that life can be somewhat manageable. Consider the following tips to help ease the complications that arise with fibromyalgia:
- Conserve Energy – fatigue is one of the greatest symptoms, other than pain, that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia complain about. It is important for adequate rest to be obtained when and where possible, and for energy saving to be a standard of life. If a person’s job or activities leaves them with little or no energy then consideration for changing the way work, commitments, projects, hobbies, as well as family or friends effects their energy levels.
- Adapt – the pain of Fibromyalgia can affect the way individuals move about because bending over or reaching above their heads can lead to experiencing pain. Adapting to a way of life while living with Fibromyalgia is vital, individuals can do this by becoming creative and modifying the way they complete tasks in order to lessen the pain.
- Create A Schedule – often individuals suffering from Fibromyalgia feel completely overwhelmed with even the simplest tasks of daily life. This feeling can be avoided by keeping a schedule for simple tasks such as household chores or tasks. Another idea is to create a schedule of tasks that can be completed on a daily, weekly, monthly, or annual basis. Doing a little bit at a time becomes much easier when it’s planned out ahead of time.
- Have A Plan– planning for a bad day is a must for Fibromyalgia sufferers. Some days will be worse than others when it comes to the pain and fatigue that must be dealt with. Stocking up on meals that are easy to prepare, keeping disposable kitchen items, and being willing to ask for help when it’s needed are a must.
- Make Change – being willing to do a little change can make a huge difference in the life of an individual dealing with Fibromyalgia. For instance if turning doorknobs or water faucets become painful and difficult a simple switch to a different fixture can make all the difference in the world. Other changes that should be considered are downsizing, and delegation.
After accepting the diagnosis and adhering to the tips of coping implementing a treatment would be the next step or goal. There are several treatment options that a person suffering from fibromyalgia can benefit from such as the use of prescription medications or though natural safer means like acupuncture, chiropractic care, therapy or supplements.
Acupuncture uses stimulation of specific acu-points on the skin by inserting needles that range in length from 1 cm to 10 cm. A typical treatment involves the use of 5 to 15 needles and the generally the acu-points vary during each treatment session.
The forms of adjustment of the skeletal structure are made through techniques such as stretches, adjustments, as well as manipulations where the imbalance can be restored and results in lessening of symptoms. Many Fibromyalgia sufferers suffer from ongoing backaches, foot pain, or leg cramps, and chiropractic care can aid in lessening those symptoms.
Research has proven that the use of massage therapy as a form of Fibromyalgia treatment can help Fibromyalgia sufferers experience deeper levels of sleep and lessen levels of pain and fatigue. The way that massage therapy accomplishes this is by using the different forms of massage to help oxygenate the body as a whole which can decrease the severity of symptoms that a Fibromyalgia sufferer will experience.