How Nutrition Can Change The Outlook For Fibromyalgia Sufferers
There is an old saying that goes like this, “You are what you eat”. This old saying while funny, because you would obviously not turn into a carrot if one was eaten, does actually have some truth when it comes to Fibromyalgai sufferers. There isn’t any one magical food (or pill) out there that will take away all of the symptoms that Fibromyalgia sufferers are unfortunate enough to experience. However, there are some foods which have been proven in different studies to either aid in providing relief from the symptoms of Fibromyalgia, or on the other hand foods that tend to exacerbate the symptoms of Fibromyalgai.
One thing that is very important to remember is that each Fibromyalgai sufferer will experience different levels of pain and/or symptoms in relation to the condition of Fibromyalgai. Therefore, treatment should be personalized to provide the most relief to each Fibromyalgai sufferer on an individual basis. Not every treatment plan will work for every individual who suffers from Fibromyalgia; there is no one size fits all approach to Fibromyalgia treatment. However, the foods and nutritional intake that a Fibromyalgia sufferer ingests can make a difference in the way the symptoms present themselves in each Fibromyalgai sufferer. And of course the old adage that taking care of overall health and diet as well as exercise really does make a difference in the overall quality of life that an individual experiences, with or without Fibromyalgia.
Nutrients to Avoid
Some of the specific nutrients or foods that should be avoided are as follows:
- Caffeine has been shown to aggravate the symptoms of Fibromyalgai. While at first Caffeine can seem to be a “pick me up” and can temporarily help to ease some of the symptoms of Fatigue, once this “pick me up” wears off it can trigger headaches and even interfere with sleep which can negatively affect the Fibromyalgai sufferer.
- Anything that has extra preservatives or colorings has been shown to aggravate the symptoms of Fibromyalgai patients should be avoided whenever possible.
- Anything that contains artificial sweeteners, especially those that contain saccharine or aspartame (which are both chemical bases) should also be avoided as they too can aggravate and negatively affect the symptoms of Fibromyalgai sufferers.
Nutrients to Increase
Some of the specific nutrients or foods that should be considered to be added to the diet because of the beneficial outcomes in regards to Fibromyalgai symptoms are as follows:
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids have been proven by research to help decrease inflammation which is of great benefit to those suffering from joint stiffness and/or muscle inflammation that is often caused by Fibromyalgai.
- Lean Protein when combined with an already reduces carbohydrate ingestion has been shown by certain studies to help keep glucose levels under control which can be beneficial to Fibromyalgai patients because this will keep fatigue levels from rising.
- Vegetables and Fruits is another nutrient that should be increased because of the high levels of phytochemicals and antioxidants which can benefit Fibromyalgai sufferers who may battle obesity or perhaps autoimmune disorders (which are both common conditions to be found among Fibromyalgai sufferers).
- The addition of specific supplements that have been proven by research to provide symptom relief form those suffering from Fibromyalgai should also be highly considered among those seeking to find symptom relief. There are several supplements which have been proven successful in providing symptom relief, some of those supplements are:
- Vitamin D – studies have shown that increasing the levels of Vitamin D in Fibromyalgai patients (who often have low levels) can aid in decreasing their symptoms.
- Ribose – studies show that Ribose can help to ease the pain of tight muscles (often occurring in Fibromyalgai patients) and can also help to loosen those muscles and improve the symptoms.
- SAMe – studies show that the supplement SAMe can help to decrease the symptoms of chronic pain in Fibromyalgai sufferers, additionally it can help to boost the spirits of a Fibromyalgai sufferer (which is beneficial because many Fibromyalgai sufferers also experience depression).
- Magnesium – studies show that magnesium can aid in reducing muscle spasms, back pain, and weakness that is commonly prevalent among Fibromyalgia sufferers.
- B-Complex Vitamins – studies show that B-Complex Vitamins can help decrease the inflammation as well as maintain muscle tone of Fibromyalgai sufferers.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – studies show that Brown Seaweed Extract can decrease joint pain and stiffness by as much as 50% in Fibromyalgai sufferers, and treatment benefits can be noticed in only one week of beginning its use.
- 5-Hydroxytrytophan (also known as 5-HTP) – studies have shown that the use of 5-HTP can decrease the sensitivity of Tender Points among Fibromyalgai sufferers as well as help with morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.