Oils A Method Overlooked By Most
Fibromyalgia is an extremely difficult disorder to have to live with on a daily basis. Traditional forms of treatment such as the use of medications have led fibromyalgia sufferers down a scary road of complicated side effects that include emotional, physical and even mental drawbacks. As a result, more and more fibromyalgia patients are looking towards alternative treatments to help reduce their symptoms and manage their fibromyalgia syndrome.
Coping with fibromyalgia is particularly difficult because the symptoms are invisible as well as chronic and a person can’t simply “get over” fibromyalgia with the passage of neither time nor wishful thinking, no matter how much they may want to. So therefore, among other alternative methods such as: aromatherapy, herbs or essential oils promises to help fibromyalgia sufferers decrease their pain, while improving their mood and outlook on life.
A Look At Essential Oils
Oils can help individuals with fibromyalgia by:
- They can relieve the pain of fibromyalgia – The pain relief people experience is repeatedly noticeable and swift. This in itself is a most wonderful thing because pain can be taken care of naturally, decreasing the risk of the unwanted side effects as well as reducing the possibility of addiction to painkillers.
- Oils can have an obvious effect on one’s psychological and emotional state. Oils have the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier, therefore positively affecting the mind. Oils have the potential to:
- Relieve anxiety
- Improve sleep
- Increase concentration
- Relieve depression.
- Can relieve many of the neuropsychiatric and emotional problems associated to this condition
Aromatherapy is becoming more and more popular because of the effects that aromatherapy appears to have on pain sensation and mood. Aromatherapy is administered in different ways, which can include:
- Inhalation: direct as well as indirect, and dilution:
- massage oils
- water sprays
- bath salts
Essential oils can be used topically for things such as:
- A massage,
- During a bath
- Diffused into the air.
Studies have shown that there are several oils that are helpful to fibromyalgia sufferers such as:
- Roman chamomile
Using Essential Oils During Massage
For therapeutic massage, it is suggested to use 10 to 12 drops of essential oils in one ounce of carrier oil. Carrier oil can be a cold-pressed nut, seed or vegetable oil. The use of fractionated coconut oil is strongly suggested since it is clear, light and odorless. This oil also does not oxidize, so there is total skin penetration.
Which Would You Benefit From The Most?
The great thing about aromatherapy is the wide variety of oils to help specified needs, concerns or issues. Not every fibromyalgia sufferer endures the same types of pain, therefore specified treatment is needed to bring about the desired amount of relief and the following list should prove to be helpful:
- Pain Relief: spike lavender, sweet marjoram, lavender, Roman and German chamomile, clary sage, lemongrass, helichrysum, and peppermint Side note: Spike lavender along with peppermint and helichrysum together has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Stress / Anxiety: frankincense, sweet orange, bergamot, grapefruit, ylang ylang, sandalwood, neroli, mandarin, lavender, rose geranium, tangerine, jasmine
- Sleep Improvement: lavender, neroli, jasmine, marjoram, Roman chamomile
- Headaches: peppermint, marjoram, Roman chamomile, lavender (a peppermint stick that you can buy at a drug store also works exceptionally well when rubbed on your temples for headaches)
- Increased circulation: rosemary, ginger, black pepper, peppermint, lemongrass, rose geranium
- Increase energy: lemon, grapefruit, geranium
- Relaxation: lavender, chamomile, jasmine
- To ease sore joints and muscles: black pepper, eucalyptus, peppermint, juniper
Lavender And Its Positive Effect
Lavender is suggested as a part of a mixture to help with pain, stress, sleep and headaches. For pain relief, many sufferers suggest combining lavender with peppermint oil and helichrysum oil. This combination is said to create an anti-inflammatory effect. Lavender alone is said to help for stress and anxiety relief. This stress relief is also said to help relax the fibromyalgia sufferer to sleep. Other helpful oils for stress relief and peaceful sleep include marjoram, neroli and jasmine. For some fibromyalgia sufferers, a combination of these oils may be most useful.
The intense and painful headaches that come with the condition of fibromyalgia can sometimes be treated with peppermint or lavender oil. Not all oils are created the same. It is best to do some research prior to purchasing any essential oils. It is also important to ensure that pure essential oils are being purchased.