Still The Complications
The issue of fibromyalgia complicates everyday mobility. An individual that has been diagnosed with this miserable condition wakes up every morning feeling stiff and finds it difficult to move his or her limbs this makes mobility throughout the day difficult until the pain lessens and limbs become more flexible. Those that find themselves diagnosed with fibromyalgia may often find his or herself diagnosed with sleep apnea as well. Other complications would include:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Memory or Cognitive Problems
- Tension or Migraine Headaches
- Impaired Speech
Theories On Possible Causes
While the cause of fibromyalgia is not exactly known, researchers have some ideas about it. Everything from hormonal disturbances to stress has been thought to cause fibromyalgia. To this day, doctors will say that the cause of fibromyalgia is unknown because it acts differently for every sufferer. Though they cannot pinpoint an exact cause medical professionals do have several theories and hypothesis regarding the topic such as:
v Central Sensitization
v Physical or emotional trauma
v Sleep disturbances
v Genetic predisposition
v Dopamine dysfunction (hypodopaminergia)
v Abnormal serotonin metabolism
v Deficient growth hormone (GH) secretion
v Psychological factors
- Hormonal Disturbances – There are several different hormonal imbalances that have been greatly researched. Some theories have not even really gotten off the ground. Three prime hormones have been researched extensively: thyroid, insulin, progesterone.
- The first is a possibility of low thyroid hormone function. After extensive research, it is common to find a thyroid deficiency in fibromyalgia patients.
- Another common hormonal disturbance thought to cause fibromyalgia is insulin. Very many fibromyalgia sufferers have hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is when the body reacts by supplying too much insulin when too much sugar is eaten. When the body supplies too much insulin, it destroys most of the sugar in the blood just a few hours after eating. The results of low blood pressure include the mind becoming fuzzy and the person becoming disoriented.
- A third chemical imbalance has to do with progesterone. Both men and women’s body produce progesterone. Its highest concentration is in the brain because it’s a necessity for nerve health and function. Progesterone works throughout the body from women’s reproductive organs to peripheral nerves. Several fibromyalgia sufferers have taken a progesterone supplement and many of their health issues have gotten much better. It is also referred to as the happy hormone because it helps to even out mood swings and lift spirits.
- Stress – Other researchers have focused their studies on the possibility that stress causes fibromyalgia. During periods of prolonged stress, the body is in a constant state of emergency which can cause the adrenal gland to be strained. Add to the already stressed body an actual stressful event and the gland can cause a body that is dominated by estrogen for women and a compromise of testosterone production in men.
- A Collection Of Things – Upon looking at all of the facts, it appears that the cause of fibromyalgia is no one given thing. Usually, it is caused by a combination of several factors.
Treatments Can Ease The Pain
Fibromyalgia has no known cure so a treatment must be put into play. There are several treatments that can make a profound difference and still the pain that is activated through this diagnosis.
Anti-inflammatory medications are available both as prescriptions and over-the-counter. These prescription medications can help reduce the pain that fibromyalgia sufferers go through as a result of excessive physical activity among other conditions. However, because of the side effects those anti-inflammatory medications have on the lining of the stomach they should only be taken as needed and when absolutely necessary.
Individuals who need relief from Fibromyalgia can use exercise and physical therapy to help lessen their symptoms. It is important that exercise is begun gradually and completed regularly if relief is to be found, but stretching, good posture, and relaxation exercises have been proven to provide Fibromyalgia relief.
Acupuncture as a therapy originated as traditional Chinese medicine. Acupuncture is based on the premise that there are patents of energy that flow through the body are and essential to total body health. Acupuncture uses stimulation of specific acu-points on the skin by inserting needles that range in length from 1 cm to 10 cm. A typical treatment involves the use of 5 to 15 needles and the generally the acu-points vary during each treatment session.