Supplements For Treating Fibromyalgia
With most conditions the typical treatment path includes the use prescription medications, and with Fibromyalgia the case is no different. The common medications that are used for the treatment of Fibromyalgia and its symptoms are Antidepressants, analgesics, as well as Anti-seizure medications. The problem with treating Fibromyalgia with these types of medications is that they can cause so many negative side effects. So while the prescription medications may well bring some type of relief they do so at the cost of causing side effects that the patient must then deal with. The unfortunate thing about prescription medications is that often times this will be the only line of defense for relief that physicians may offer up to their Fibromyalgia patients, so unless personal research is done then the Fibromyalgia sufferer may very well believe that prescription medications are there only options. However, prescription medications are not the only option for finding Fibromyalgia relief; in fact there are many different options that include lifestyle changes (such as reducing stress, exercising regularly, getting enough rest, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle), therapies (such as massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, and biofeedback), but another options for treatment of Fibromyalgia is the use of Supplements.
- Vitamin D – Studies shown that Vitamin D deficiencies are common among Fibromyalgia sufferers, and that increasing the intake of Vitamin D can be responsible for helping to provide relief from the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. It is important to make sure that an adequate amount of daily Vitamin D is a part of the diet if Fibromyalgia relief is trying to be reached.
- Fish Oil – is a supplement that has high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an exceptional source for reducing the pain that is associated with Fibromyalgia. Additional benefits of Fish Oil in Fibromyalgia sufferers are that it can also help to reduce depression and gastrointestinal upset.
- SAMe – is a supplement that is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is desirable for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA, as well as controlling mood and emotions. Research has shown that SAMe can aid in diminishing the symptoms of chronic pain as well as help to boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
- Capsaicin – is a natural substance that is extracted from hot pepper plants and then formulated into a medication that is used for a variety of conditions such as arthritis, nerve pain, as well as Fibromyalgia. When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a reduction in pain has been recognized.
- Ribose – Research has shown that Ribose can significantly reduce the symptoms of Fibromyalgia by improving energy, sleep, overall well-being, mental clarity, and of course pain tolerance. Another problem of Fibromyalgia is often caused because of tight muscles. Ribose can help to ease this pain because Ribose can help to release those muscles and help to improve the devastating symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium – aids in relief from Fibromyalgia because when taken as a supplement it can help to decrease the muscle spasms, weakness, and back pain that are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia. Often times, Fibromyalgia sufferers are known to have severe magnesium deficiencies and as with any supplement if a deficiency can be corrected then the overall well-being of an individual will only improve.
- B- Complex Vitamins – All of the B- Complex vitamins (Folic Acid, Riboflavin, and Thiamine) can help to lessen inflammation that often causes the painful symptoms, these vitamins can also help to maintain muscle tone which is an advantage to Fibromyalgia sufferers.
- 5-HTP – Research has shown that in persons who suffer from Fibromyalgia when 5-HTP was used as a treatment, individuals reported a significant decrease in their tender points as well as the amount of pain they were suffering on a daily basis. Other benefits noted with the use of 5-HTP were improvements in sleep, morning stiffness, anxiety, as well as fatigue.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.