The Truth About Prescription Medications
There are some things that medical professionals do not want to tell you or have you as the patient focus on when in the midst of treatment. No one wants to discuss the un-pleasantries of a medical condition but without discussing them than the patient goes uninformed and runs the risk of worsening his or her condition. Take the condition known as fibromyalgia for example. If fibromyalgia is left untreated the patient will struggle with severe and crippling pain, but if the wrong treatment is implemented the patient could lose his or her life.
Treating fibromyalgia is a dangerous game when prescription medications are involved. If prescription medications are being used for the treating of fibromyalgia it is important that the patient be made aware of the various side effects of the medications that are being used. Side effects of antidepressant medications, medications and sleep medications are going to be discussed in the following few sections. Please seek out professional medical attention if any of the symptoms listed below begin to develop.
One group of anti-depressants is called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). antidepressant medications is a common prescription medication that is given from the SSRI category.
Common side effects of antidepressant medications
Common side effects of antidepressant medications should not become persistent or bothersome. They should become manageable or go away shortly after beginning antidepressant medications.
medications is a popular choice for doctors to prescribe. medications is an anti-seizure medication that was actually designed to help patients who have epilepsy. However, after much research, medications now is used to help treat fibromyalgia as an off-label use.
Common side effects of medications
Common side effects should not become bothersome or persistent. While many people are able to take medications with little to no side effects, medications is chemical in nature and can easily cause just as many side effects as any other medications.
While sleep medications is a sleep medication, it is designed to help the body relax. It is important to note that some patients who have taken sleep medications have driven, eaten, made phone call and then have no memory of the events later. This can be dangerous.
Side Effects Of Prescription Medications
- decrease in sexual desire
- difficulty with coordination
- dry mouth
- unpleasant taste
Severe Side Effects
- difficulty breathing
- tightness in the chest
- swelling of the mouth, face, lips or tongue
- unusual hoarseness
- aggressive behavior
- breast growth
- chest pain
- memory problems (example: amnesia)
- mental or mood changes
- painful menstrual periods
- severe mood swings
- suicidal thoughts
- swelling of hands or feet
- symptoms of infection (examples: fever, sore throat, sinus or chest congestion)
- unusual or disturbing thoughts
Treating Fibromyalgia Safely
- Massage – Stress is one of the highest causative factors to individuals with Fibromyalgia. But stress management, especially through the use of massage, can significantly reduce the majority of the symptoms that are caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Acupuncture – another form of therapy (also considered non-conventional) that can aid in Fibromyalgia relief is the use of acupuncture. This treatment can provide relief from Fibromyalgia for anywhere from a few days up to a few weeks, depending on the individual.
- Biofeedback – is a process in which the Fibromyalgia sufferer can begin to gain more control over their nervous system, thus assisting in attaining more relief from the Fibromyalgia symptoms. The most common form of Biofeedback used for the management of Fibromyalgia is electromyography (also called EMG).
- Supplemental Therapy – There are quite a few supplemental therapies which have been established as highly successful and beneficial in the world of Fibromyalgia treatment. Some of the most frequently used supplements are:
Research has shown that Vitamin D can help with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
Fish Oil Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an excellent source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
This particular supplement is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is needed for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA. Research has shown that SAMe can lessen the symptoms of chronic pain as well as boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a decrease in pain has been notated in some research.