The Two Sides To The Fibro Treatment Coin
Ever heard the phrase, “It’s a flip of a coin.”? It means that there are two sides to the discussion, the fight, the war. When in the fight for relief from fibromyalgia symptoms and occurrences, there is a line that has been drawn by those who believe prescription medication is the way to go while others hold to a more holistic or natural approach to treatment. So throughout this article, we will look at the problem with fibromyalgia as well as the factors of division when it comes to treating this incurable condition.
Some People Think This Way
Two common anti-depressants that are often prescribed by doctors for those that suffer from fibromyalgia would include depression meds and antidepressant medications. These two medications are able to decrease pain for fibromyalgia. They can also help increase energy, decrease anxiety, help with alertness and improve depression. This is great since those are common symptoms for those struggling with fibromyalgia. depression meds and antidepressant medications are not typically used for fibromyalgia patients who have been clinically depressed. During the medication study, researchers followed patients for six months, so they are still unsure on how well depression meds and antidepressant medications will work for long term use. SO use them with caution knowing the side effects and notifying your primary care physician of any side effect persist as they could harm you rather than help.
v antidepressant medications – One group of anti-depressants is called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. antidepressant medications is a common prescription medication that is given from the SSRI category. Common side effects of antidepressant medications should not become persistent or bothersome. They should become manageable or go away shortly after beginning antidepressant medications. After several weeks and months of being on antidepressant medications, the body can begin to experience several complications some of which are serious and will require medical attention. Severe side effects of antidepressant medications include:
- Chest Pain
- Difficulty breathing
- Tightness in the chest
- Decreased Concentration
- Persistent or severe ringing in the ears
- Persistent, painful erection
- Fever, chills or sore throat
- Memory Loss
- New or worsening mental or mood changes
- Severe or persistent anxiety or trouble sleeping
- Decreased Coordination
- Exaggerated Reflexes
- Unusual bleeding
- Vision changes
- Worsening of depression
v depression meds – depression meds is in a drug group of anti-depressants. While doctors and manufacturers are uncertain why depression meds does help with fibromyalgia symptoms; it could be because many fibromyalgia sufferers also suffer from depression. Common side effects should not become persistent or bothersome. Severe side effects of depression meds though can become life threatening. If a fibromyalgia patient begins to suffer from any of these severe side effects, he or she should immediately seek the help of a healthcare professional. Refer to the above list for any severe side effects that may occur with depression meds as well, since antidepressant medications and depression meds share similar side effects.
Others Think This Way
Studies have proven that most every fibromyalgia patient has some deficiency of vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements which lead to not only the symptoms of fibromyalgia but also the condition itself. If they balance out these deficiencies, they can regain control over their condition and win the war against fibromyalgia. Here are a few of those supplements and vitamins:
- Ribose – Fibromyalgia is often caused because of tight muscles. Ribose can help to ease this pain because Ribose can help to loosen those muscles and help to improve the debilitating symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Magnesium – Magnesium can aid in relief from Fibromyalgia because when taken as an additional supplement it can help to reduce the muscle spasms, weakness, and back pain that are commonly associated with Fibromyalgia.
- Vitamin D – Research has shown that Vitamin D can help with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Fish Oil – Fish oils have omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an excellent source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- Brown Seaweed Extract – Research is proving that Brown Seaweed extract (a supplement) is proving highly successful in the fight against chronic pain. Studies have shown that taking Brown Seaweed extract can reduce joint pain and stiffness by as much as 52% and individuals notice these benefits within only one week of beginning treatment.