Two Ways To Entreat This Condition
Selecting a treatment option can be a bit tricky so it is important that the fibromyalgia patient take his or her time and seek the advice and counsel of a medical professional before attempting to treat their condition on their own. When looking to treat fibromyalgia, the patient will find his or herself faced with two choices. Both treatment choices can and will help fibromyalgia patients find relief; however, there are differences between the two and the differences can have a profound effect on the fibromyalgia patients overall health and wellbeing.
- Prescription Medication For Treatment
- Treatment Via Natural Alternatives
Sometimes Doctors Have To Test You
Tender points are surface areas that seem to be just under the surface of the skin. These points hurt when just light pressure is applied. The doctor will watch for the patient to flinch or pull back when pressure is applied. The sizes of the tender points are around the size of a penny. They are much more sensitive than the areas surrounding them. Tender points are located on both sides of the body and both above and below the waist. The tender points are concentrated in the neck area. Other tender points are found close to, but not on the joints. There are tender points near each elbow, near each knee and four are located near the pelvis and hips.
This Is Why We Test
The above test many times is not just performed by the doctor’s hand but also with the use of a doximeter. This can be helpful when getting diagnosed with a condition like fibromyalgia because there have been some instances where individuals didn’t have fibromyalgia but one of the below illnesses or syndromes. Make sure you get tested.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – Rheumatoid arthritis can occur at any age and is caused by inflammation and destruction of the lining of the joints; it is different from its more common sibling osteoarthritis which usually occurs in old individuals lives due to old age. The painful, swollen, and stiff joints characteristic of rheumatoid arthritis are also common complaints for people with fibromyalgia. In addition, RA can strike in the same joints on both sides of the body, similar to the symmetrical tender points used to diagnose fibromyalgia, and can cause fatigue and morning stiffness.
- Sleep Apnea – Many fibromyalgia patients have trouble sleeping. The unfortunate thing about this is that sleeping better could actually improve their symptoms. Sometimes, the pain from fibromyalgia itself could be interfering with sleep. However, there is another condition that can cause sleep problems and tiredness upon waking. Sleep apnea may be the problem keeping you up at night. A person with sleep apnea tends to snore and stop breathing for several seconds or more while asleep, then snorts and gasps for breath. The results are fitful sleep and feeling tired upon waking. Treating the sleep disorder should lead to better sleep, even if fibro symptoms persist.
Treat Me Alternatively
As of right now, there are no magic cures for the fibro pain and stiffness in the joints but there are now ways of treating the symptoms. You can get a therapeutic massage, have a chiropractic adjustment or just change your diet and add an exercise plan into your routine. There are alternatives to prescription medications that have proven very successful for the relief of those who suffer from Fibromyalgia. You can even take some appropriate supplements to aid you in relieving the symptoms and pain from the fibro drama. Here are a few of the most commonly used supplements for Fibromyalgia:
- Vitamin D – Research has shown that Vitamin D can help with the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. In fact, one specific study shows that individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia have lower levels of Vitamin D, thus increasing Vitamin D can help to lessen the symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia.
- Fish Oil – Has omega-3 fatty acids which are known to be an anti-inflammatory which makes it an excellent source for reducing the pain associated with Fibromyalgia.
- SAMe – This particular supplement is a synthetic form of a compound which the body naturally produces. It is needed for immune function and plays a key role in the forming of cartilage and DNA. Research has shown that SAMe can lessen the symptoms of chronic pain as well as boost an individual’s spirits (good for those also experiencing depression).
- Capsaicin – When Capsaicin is used on the tender points of a person who suffers from Fibromyalgia a decrease in pain has been notated in some research.